Whether you are heading out for your baby’s first checkup, or going on vacation for the week, a well-stocked diaper bag is essential. For parents of children with food allergies, it can be difficult and stressful to remember to pack everything you could possibly need. We get that. That’s why we’ve put together an allergy-friendly checklist to make sure that you are fully stocked for the next outing with your little one!
What to pack:
- Epinephrine auto-injector (if prescribed by your healthcare professional)
- Allergy card – A list of little one’s known allergies and emergency contact numbers
- Creams for the bottom
- Extra bottle for mixing formula
- Burp cloths/Bibs
- Teether toys
- Hand sanitizer
- Basic first aid items
- Neocate – Remember to pack enough for your entire trip. If you need additional travel tips, check out our traveling with Neocate blog post.
- Safe snacks (if your little one is transitioning to solids)
- Prepared water (for making Neocate) – If you have any mixing questions, we put together Neocate Mixing FAQ list
- Extra Neocate scoop if you didn’t premeasure your formula ahead of time
- Age appropriate toys
- Changing pad (if you have a folding one)
- Change of clothes…or two… or three – Remember to keep change of clothes season appropriate. In sunnier months, add a sunhat, sunblock and some bug spray. In colder months, additional layers are handy.
- Extra blankets
- Snacks for mom/dad as back up when hunger strikes
Now that you know what to pack, here are some tips on how to pick the perfect diaper bag for your needs, and how to pack a diaper bag properly!
Diaper bag tips:
- Waterproof lining is easier to clean when spills occur.
- Pack medicine and snacks in re-sealable plastic bags to prevent leaks.
- Try on different diaper bags for size before purchasing; also look at tote bags/ backpacks to find what works best for you.
- Keep a small bag with necessities in case you need to grab it for a quick or unexpected trip.
- Adjust bag items according to the season. You might need another sweater for your LO in the cold weather!
Don’t forget to restock when you get home so you are never without any of the essentials. You will thank yourself the next time you are running late or in an emergency. If you have mastered the art of diaper bag packing, be sure to upload pictures to our Facebook page. We would love to see if there are any other items you use!