Neocate® Syneo® Infant is the first and only hypoallergenic formula with prebiotics and probiotics, specifically designed for food-allergic infants.
- Backed by 3 clinical studies, clinically shown to:
- Effectively resolve food allergy symptoms2
- Support growth and development1,2
- Help balance the gut microbiota of food-allergic infants3
- Based on 100% non-allergenic free amino acids
- Nutritionally complete for infants 0-12 months
- Only hypoallergenic formula with a clinically tested blend of prebiotics and probiotics, shown to balance the gut microbiota of food-allergic infants to be closer to that of breastfed infants*.3‡
- Probiotic Bifidobacterium breve M-16V
- Prebiotic blend of scFOS and lcFOS†
Neocate® Syneo® Infant is specially formulated for the dietary management of infants with cow milk allergy (CMA), multiple food allergies (MFA) and related GI and allergic conditions, including food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES), eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE) and gastroesophageal reflux (GER).
Good to Know
- Added nucleotides & DHA/ARA
- Dairy free
- Made in a dairy protein-free facility
- Soy oil free
- No artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners
- Kosher Pareve
Only Neocate Syneo Infant contains Syneo, a patented blend of prebiotics and probiotics, backed by years of research, and designed to help support a balanced gut microbiota in food-allergic infants. Until more data is available, Neocate Syneo Infant is not recommended for the following patients, for whom Neocate® Infant is still available, unless directed or supervised by a healthcare professional:
- Infants with a post-pyloric feeding tube, which bypasses the stomach and empties into the small intestine.
- Infants with a central venous catheter (CVC).
- Infants with short bowel syndrome (SBS), unless a risk and benefit analysis is completed by a healthcare professional and the infant is monitored.
Neocate® Syneo® Infant is a specially formulated medical food and should only be used under medical supervision.
† short- and long-chain fructooligosaccharides
* Nutricia North America supports the use of breast milk wherever possible
- Osmolality*: 360 mOsm/kg H2O
- Free water*: 90.0%
- Energy distribution:
- Protein 11.4%
- Carbohydrate 45.1%
- Fat (MCT 33%/LCT 67%) 43.5%
- Potential Renal Solute Load*: 176 mOsm/L
- Displacement 0.71 mL/g
|Calories per 400 gram can (kcal)||1900|
|Calories per gram (kcal)||4.75|
|Grams/scoop (level, unpacked)||4.7|
|Water displaced/gram (mL)||0.71|
|Water displaced/scoop (mL)||3.34|
|Protein Equivalent/scoop (g)||0.63|
|Protein Equivalent, g/100 mL*||1.89|
|Standard Dilution||20 kcal/fl oz
|% Free Water*||90.0%|
|Osmolality at 20 kcal/fl oz,* mOsm/kg H2O||360|
|Osmolality at 22 kcal/fl oz, mOsm/kg H2O||390|
|Osmolality at 24 kcal/fl oz, mOsm/kg H2O||420|
|Osmolality at 26 kcal/fl oz, mOsm/kg H2O||460|
|Osmolality at 27 kcal/fl oz, mOsm/kg H2O||490|
|Osmolality at 28 kcal/fl oz, mOsm/kg H2O||500|
|Osmolality at 30 kcal/fl oz, mOsm/kg H2O||550|
|Potential Renal Solute Load,* mOsm/L||176|
|Volume prepared formula per can*||95 fl oz
|Approximate scoops per can||~85|
*At Standard Dilution, 20 kcal/fl oz as listed above
Neocate® Syneo® Infant is available to healthcare professionals to sample. Contact your Nutricia sales representative to request samples to be sent free of charge to your practice.
|Product Code||Reimbursement Code||HCPCS Code||Product Packaging|
|127049||49735-0114-36||B4161||4 x 400 g (14.1 oz)|
Neocate products are WIC* eligible in all States.
Reimbursement codes have been submitted by Nutricia North America to US data warehouses based on the format established by the data warehouses. These codes are not NDC numbers.
*WIC is a registered service mark of the U.S. Department of Agriculture for USDA's Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children. WIC eligible means that a product has been approved at the Federal level and, therefore, may be included on a State agency's authorized food list if the State agency so chooses. Each WIC State agency determines its own allowed formula list. Contact your State WIC office to determine the availability of a specific WIC eligible Nutricia product in your area - http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic
|NUTRIENTS||PER 100 g||PER 100 kcal (5 fl oz)*|
|Protein Equivalent, g||13.5||2.8|
|Soluble Fiber, g||4.5||0.95|
|Linoleic Acid, mg||3348||705|
α-Linolenic Acid, mg
|Soluble Fiber, g||4.5||0.95|
|Vitamin A, IU (mcg RE)||1352 (406)||285 (85.5)|
|Vitamin D3, IU (mcg)||352 (8.8)||74.1 (1.9)|
|Vitamin E, IU (mg α-TE)||6.5 (4.4)||1.4 (0.93)|
|Vitamin K, mcg||42.5||9.0|
|Vitamin B6, mcg||540||114|
|Vitamin B12, mcg||1.3||0.27|
|Folic Acid, mcg||64.0||13.5|
|Pantothenic Acid, mcg||2900||611|
|Vitamin C, mg||51.6||10.9|
|Calcium, mg (mEq)||549 (27.4)||116 (5.8)|
|Phosphorus, mg (mEq)||388 (25.0)||81.7 (5.3)|
|Sodium, mg (mEq)||185 (8.0)||38.9 (1.7)|
|Potassium, mg (mEq)||515 (13.2)||108 (2.8)|
|Chloride, mg (mEq)||378 (10.7)||79.6 (2.2)|
*5 fl oz provides 100 calories when prepared as directed
Corn Syrup Solids (51%), Refined Vegetable Oil (Medium Chain Triglycerides (8%), High Oleic Sunflower Oil (6%), Sunflower Oil (4%), Canola Oil (4%)), Fructooligosaccharides (Oligofructose (4%), Inulin (0.5%)), less than 2% of each of the following:Dipotassium Phosphate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Glycerophosphate, L-Arginine L-Aspartate, Calcium Phosphate Dibasic, L-Leucine, L-Lysine Acetate, Tripotassium Citrate, L-Glutamine, L-Proline, L-Valine, Citric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides (CITREM), Glycine, L-Isoleucine, L-Threonine, L-Phenylalanine, L-Tyrosine, L-Serine, L-Histidine, L-Alanine, Sodium Chloride, L-Cystine, L-Tryptophan, Magnesium Chloride, Choline Bitartrate, L-Methionine, Tricalcium Citrate, Magnesium L-Aspartate, M. alpina Oil*, C. cohnii Oil**, M-Inositol, L-Ascorbic Acid, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, L-Carnitine, Uridine 5’-Monophosphate Disodium Salt, Cytidine 5’-Monophosphate, Niacinamide, Inosine 5’-Monophosphate Disodium Salt, Adenosine 5’-Monophosphate, Calcium D-Pantothenate, Guanosine 5’-Monophosphate Disodium Salt, DL-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Bifidobacterium breve M-16V, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Manganese Sulfate, Thiamin Chloride Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cupric Sulfate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Acetate, DL-alpha Tocopherol, Potassium Iodide, Mixed Tocopherols, Folic Acid, Chromium Chloride, Phylloquinone, Sodium Selenite, Sodium Molybdate, D-Biotin, Vitamin D3, Cyanocobalamin.
*A source of Arachidonic Acid (ARA)
**A source of Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)
Information for Healthcare Professionals:
- Neocate® Syneo® Infant can be given orally or by feeding tube. Not for parenteral use.
- Neocate Syneo Infant is not recommended for use in infants with a central venous catheter or post-pyloric feeding tube unless directed or supervised by a healthcare professional.
- Tube feeding hang time: Nutricia recommends formula can be safely kept at room temperature for up to 4 hours, at which time unused formula should be discarded.
- All scoops should be measured and unpacked. Use a scale that measures in grams for the most accurate results. Household measures are not recommended for measuring powdered Nutricia products.
The first and only hypoallergenic infant formula to contain a unique synbiotic blend of prebiotics and probiotics, specifically designed to support food-allergic infants. Neocate® Syneo® Infant is specially formulated for the dietary management of infants with cow milk allergy, multiple food allergies, and related GI and allergic conditions, including food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES), eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE) and gastroesophageal reflux (GER). Clinically shown to address the gut dysbiosis seen in food-allergic infants, this innovative formula contains a probiotic originally found in the microbiota of a healthy infant and a prebiotic blend modeled after the oligosaccharides in human milk. Neocate Syneo Infant is backed by 3 clinical trials to be hypoallergenic, support growth, and to help balance the gut microbiota of food-allergic infants to be closer to that of healthy, breastfed infants.
Growth in healthy infants & hypoallergenicity studies:1
Purposes:  To assess the hypoallergenicity of Neocate with synbiotics in IgE-mediated cow milk allergy,  To evaluate growth outcomes and formula tolerance in healthy infants fed Neocate with synbiotics. Methodology:  Thirty infants & children with IgE-mediated cow milk allergy used Neocate with synbiotics followed by a double-blind, placebo-controlled food challenge.  Healthy infants (0-15 days) were randomly assigned to receive a control amino acid-based formula or Neocate with synbiotics for 16 weeks. (n=115) Results/Conclusion:  This study demonstrated that Neocate with synbiotics is safe, well-tolerated and hypoallergenic according to American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines.  This study demonstrated that Neocate with synbiotics is safe, well tolerated and promotes normal growth when fed to healthy infants.
Growth in infants with cow milk allergy study:2
Purpose: To evaluate growth outcomes and formula tolerance in infants with IgE- or non-IgE-mediated cow milk allergy fed Neocate with synbiotics. Methodology: Infants with CMA were randomly assigned to receive Neocate with synbiotics or a control formula (Neocate® Infant DHA/ARA) for 16 weeks. (n=110) Results/Conclusion: This study demonstrated that Neocate with synbiotics is safe and promotes normal growth in infants with cow milk allergy.
Gut microbiota dysbiosis study:3
Purpose: To determine whether Neocate® Syneo® Infant will improve the developing gut microbiota in infant subjects with cow milk allergy relative to a standard amino acid-based formula and healthy, breastfed infants. Methodology: Infants with non-IgE-mediated cow milk allergy were randomized to receive a control amino acid-based formula or Neocate Syneo Infant for 8 weeks. A healthy breastfed reference group was also included. Results/Conclusion: This study demonstrated that Neocate Syneo Infant helps balance the gut microbiota of infants with cow milk allergy, bringing it closer to that seen in age-matched, healthy breastfed infants (figures available).
Read more on the study, including figures
Research behind the Neocate portfolio of products:
Over 150 publications and counting support the use of Neocate for a wide variety of conditions and ages. Of those, there are more than 60 publications on the clinical use of Neocate formulas for the dietary management of cow milk allergy, multiple food allergies and related gastrointestinal and allergic conditions, including eosinophilic esophagitis, short bowel syndrome, and gastroesophageal reflux. There are also many case studies that discuss the successful use of Neocate in these and other conditions, research studies that demonstrate the safe use of Neocate by otherwise healthy infants, and preclinical studies on Neocate.
Healthcare professionals can review the science behind Neocate through the Nutricia Learning Center. It’s easy and free to register for access to the following:
- A list of publications that mention the study or use of Neocate, including links to publicly available abstracts and full-text articles, where available
- Selected abstracts on key Neocate research
- Case studies on the use of Neocate
- Harvey BM, Langford JE, Harthoorn LF, et al. Effects on growth and tolerance and hypoallergenicity of an amino acid–based formula with synbiotics. Pediatr Res. 2014;75:343-51.
- Burks AW, Harthoorn LF, van Ampting MTJ, et al. Synbiotics-supplemented amino acid-based formula supports adequate growth in cow's milk allergic infants. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2015;26:316-22.
- Candy DCA, Van Ampting MTJ, Oude Nijhuis MM, et al. A synbiotic-containing amino-acid-based formula improves gut microbiota in non-IgE-mediated allergic infants. Pediatr Res. 2018;83:677-86.
‡Infants after 8 weeks of management with standard amino acid-based formula (control) or amino acid-based formula with pre- and probiotics (test) compared to age-matched, healthy, breastfed infants. At 8 weeks, levels of both bifidobacteria and Eubacterium rectale + Clostridium coccoides group were measured as a percentage of total fecal bacteria. Test group median levels were different than control group (p<0.001), and were closer to breastfed infant levels vs. control group.3
Healthcare professionals can access helpful information and resources online for Neocate® Syneo® Infant through the Nutricia Learning Center. It’s easy and free to register for access to the following:
- Neocate® Syneo® Infant Transition Guide
- Approximate Household Measures (within Dilution Charts or Neocate Mixing Tool)
- Dilution Charts
- Adding Neocate® Syneo® Infant to Breast Milk
- Neocate Calculator - Includes:
- Neocate DRI Calculator
- Neocate Mixing Calculator
- Calculate monthly need using kcal/day
- Free CE-eligible webinars
- Research Abstract: Impacts of an amino acid-based formula with synbiotics on the gut microbiota of cow milk-allergic infants
- Flow Charts for Nutrition Management
For patient safety, Nutricia directs parents and caregivers requesting specialized information, such as mixing instructions at non-standard dilutions, to their healthcare teams. Neocate should always be used under medical supervision.