While there are various options for the management of Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EoE), dietary management is a tried and true approach. In fact, dietary elimination approaches to managing EoE can be considered a first-line management option as they consistently show high rates of efficacy in inducing remission.1,2 The goals of dietary management of EoE are to identify food triggers that cause inflammation in the esophagus and to improve histological and clinical outcomes.
Are your EoE patients meeting their nutritional goals while eliminating foods?
Elimination diets, however, are not without their challenges. Elimination diets can have a significant negative impact on a child’s intake of key nutrients4,5 such as protein, calcium, vitamin D, and iron. The nutritional gaps created by elimination diets put individuals at risk for potential growth problems.4-7 Studies suggest children who avoid milk can have poorer growth than children without milk allergy.5 Further, those who avoid 3 or more food allergens have consistently worse growth parameters and nutritional intake compared to their peers on less restrictive diets.8,9
EoE Dietary Management: Experts suggest supplementing with amino acid-based formulas can serve as a “nutritional safety net”10
Fortunately, nutritional adequacy can be achieved with appropriate nutritional monitoring and supplementation. Guidelines recommend that eliminated foods be substituted with alternative foods and/or supplements and it’s noted that amino acid-based formulas are the only acceptable formula option for EoE.10
Nourish safely: The use of Neocate in EoE has been extensively studied
Neocate offers a range of nutritionally complete, hypoallergenic, amino acid-based products that can act as a nutritional safety net for individuals on elimination diets. Supplementation with Neocate can increase key nutrient intake to help close nutritional gaps.11
Only Neocate has a range of 10 great-tasting options in both a liquid and powder form that help support adherence. Neocate Junior is the only range with 6 options including 5 with prebiotic fiber to help support digestive health. When you have patients that are on-the-go or tube fed, Neocate Splash is an ideal formula that provides flexibility with its premixed formulation.
See why Neocate is the best choice for your patients – request a sample for your office or send a sample directly to your patients.
Evidence-based flowchart to help you with dietary management decisions for your patients with EoE.
Summary of expert-written guidelines for the management of EoE.
- Lucendo, et al. United European Gastroenterol J. 2017;5:335-58.
- Hirano, et al. Gastroenterology. 2020;158:1776-86.
- Lucendo. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2015;17:464.
- Christie, et al. J Am Diet Assoc. 2002;102:1648-51.
- Henriksen, et al. Acta Paediatr. 2000;89:272-8.
- Mehta, et al. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013;13:275-9.
- Hobbs, et al. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2015;3:133-4.e1.
- Meyer, et al. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2018;6:383-99.
- Meyer, et al. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2014;27:227-35.
- Groetch, et al. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2017;5:312-24.e29.
- Meyer, et al. Clin Transl Allergy. 2014;4.
- Warners, et al. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2017;45:777-87.
- Sorensen, et al. Allergy. 2017;72:523(0899).