Halloween can be extra “spooky” for parents of children with food allergies. For today’s post, I’ve collected some tips, resources, and recipes to help ensure that your family has a safe, happy, and allergy-friendly Halloween.
Tips & Resources:
Kids with Food Allergies (KFA) has developed an amazing Tips to Safely Celebrate Halloween with Food Allergies resource which includes:
- Halloween tips for home: hosting a party, enlisting help of others, trading unsafe treats and ideas for a food-free Halloween
- Halloween tips for school: discussion with parents and teachers
- Trick-or-treating checklist
- Examples of non-food treats
- Fun ways to celebrate
- KFA's guide on how to read Halloween candy labels is also extremely thorough and helpful!
Join the Teal Pumpkin Project!
Food Allergy Reserach & Education (FARE) started a campaign to help raise awareness of food allergies and promote inclusion of all kids on Halloween. It's REALLY taken off in recent years! Join the Teal Pumpkin Project and help create a safer, happier Halloween for everyone! Included are great ideas for non-food treats that everyone can enjoy.
- We found some Scary Good Allergy-Friendly Halloween Recipes from Enjoy Life
- Check out these yummy pumpkin muffin recipes:
- Need some ideas on safe candies and other treats? Hope these Food Allergy Candies and other Treats are good for your little one!
Have some tips, resources, or recipes of your own? Share them here or on our Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/Neocate. We’d love to see some Halloween photos of your kids as well!
*Please keep in mind that these recipes are “allergy-friendly” and not necessarily “allergen-free,” depending on the foods your loved one has to avoid. Be sure to check the ingredients to ensure each recipe is appropriate for your child’s food allergies. If you are unsure, consult with your child’s healthcare professional.
Photo: Flickr user- http://www.flickr.com/photos/vdrg/