Are you hosting a birthday party for your food-allergic little one, or maybe you’re expecting food-allergic guests? No need to reinvent the wheel! In this blog, you’ll find links to several blogs we’ve previously created which include a number of allergen-free party activities and recipes/snacks!
We like some of these recipes so much that we’d even serve them to non-allergic guests. Nobody would know the difference!
- Nutra Apple Milk-Free Ice Cream:http://www.neocate.com/blog/a-summer-treat-dairy-free-ice-cream/
- Nutra Milk-Free Banana Shake:http://www.neocate.com/blog/after-school-special-milk-free-shakes/
- Allergen-Free Snack Ideas:http://www.neocate.com/blog/be-prepared-with-allergen-free-snacks/
Here’s a delicious alternative to your traditional birthday cake:
Is your child receiving his/her nutrition via a feeding tube and unable to eat by mouth? Check out this “foodless birthday cake” that our colleague Mallory created for her sister:
If you’re a parent to a child who does not have food allergies, however would like to learn more about food allergies in order to host a “food-allergy friendly party”, try reading this blog:
This post has it all, including information on hosting a party with guests who have food allergies, sending your food-allergic child to a party, and various recipes:
In our society, we tend to center most of our celebrations around food, however this does not have to be the case! We can enjoy our birthdays (and any other celebration) without involving food at all! Check out these links for non-food related party activities:
- Non-Food Celebration Parties - http://www.lancastergeneralhealth.org/LGH/ECommerceSite/media/LGH-Media-Library/Documents/Services/Service%20Lines/Healthy%20Weight%20Management/Fact%20Sheets/non_food_celebrations_parties.pdf
- Non-Food Celebrations - http://www.conejousd.org/Portals/61/ChildNutrition/Docs/NonFoodCelebrations.pdf
- Healthy Celebration - https://www.healthiergeneration.org/_asset/nvgd8g/13-6162_HSPHealthyCelebration.pdf(check out page one of this PDF file)
These web sites suggest party activities for school celebrations; however these ideas can easily be adapted for home celebrations as well!
How have you celebrated your little one’s birthday in an allergen-friendly way? We’d love to hear your ideas!
-Kendra Valle, RDN
Image by ND Strupler