A few weeks ago, I posted an entry on the recent peanut product contamination scare from a Peanut Corporation of America plant in Blakely, Georgia. Since then, the news has been filled with articles on this topic. I’ve gathered a few of these articles to give you an update on the situation.
Check them out below:
- The makers of peanut products not affected by the salmonella outbreak are spreading the word that their brands are safe. To see a few safe brands and to read the entire article from CNN.com, click here. (Insert: http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/10/peanut.butter.makers/index.html?iref=newssearch)
- The Peanut Corporation of America plant located in Plainview, Texas is closed and all products manufactured from this plant are recalled. To read this article from USA Today, click here. (Insert: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-02-12-salmonella-recall_N.htm)
- Even parents that don’t have allergy prone little ones are now wondering what to pack their kids for lunch. An article in the Washington Post discusses America’s confusion and frustration with the outbreak. To read the entire article, click here. (Insert: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/13/AR2009021301946.html)
- Hundreds of items have been recalled by the U.S. Drug and Food Administration. Click here (Insert: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/peanutbutterrecall/index.cfm) to view the entire list of recalled products. You can also search for specific products by typing in the brand or product name in the search box.
- The government is working hard to prevent any future outbreaks, including routinely collecting samples for bacterial testing whenever they go into a manufacturing facility. For all of the steps the government is taking to prevent future outbreaks, click here (Insert: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29158355/) to read the entire article from MSNBC.com.
As an allergy parent, you already know the stress that goes along with protecting your child from what seems to be a safe food. The rest of America is unfortunately now experiencing the same thing.
What are your thoughts on the current peanut scare? I’d love to know.