Looking for an allergy-friendly brunch recipe? Our Blueberry Scones are perfect for the whole family. Made with our Neocate® EO28 Splash, Tropical Fruit, these scones are delicious and easy to make.
This recipe, developed by a professional chef who also happens to be a Registered Dietitian, is one of our favorites!
As always, please check all ingredients to ensure suitability, and consult your doctor or dietitian with questions or for advice before you bake with Neocate, as cooking can affect some nutrient levels.
What is EO28 Splash?
E028 Splash is a hypoallergenic amino acid-based liquid formula for individuals one year of age and older. It is available in a convenient, ready-to-drink form for individuals on the go. It provides all essential nutrients to promote balanced nutrition and can be used to supplement individuals on elimination diets. E028 Splash is available in three great-tasting flavors: grape, tropical fruit and orange-pineapple.
E028 Splash is for the dietary management of cow and soy milk allergy, multiple food protein intolerance (MFPI), eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE), short bowel syndrome (SBS), and other conditions of gastrointestinal tract impairment and malabsorption requiring an elemental diet. E028 Splash is gluten- and casein-free.
What You Need:
- 1 ¾ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour substitute
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- ¾ cup non-dairy margarine (or allowable fat substitute), cold and cut into pieces
- ¾ cup blueberries, fresh
- 1 Tablespoon of egg replacer
- ½ cup E028 Splash Tropical Fruit
- 2 teaspoons imitation vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment.
- Whisk together the flour substitute, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and nutmeg.
- Work in the cold margarine till the mixture is crumbly with a pastry cutter or fork.
- Stir in the blueberries.
- Whisk together the E028 Splash Tropical Fruit, egg substitute, and vanilla till frothy.
- Add to the dry ingredients, stirring till well blended. The dough should be cohesive and very sticky.
- Drop dough by using rounded tablespoons onto the baking sheet. Let the scones rest for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes or so before serving.
If you prefer drier scones, use less of the E028 Splash mixture. Looking to add a little pazzaz to your scones? Sprinkle the scones with sparkling sugar or cinnamon sugar, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 Scone
- Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- Energy 136 kcal
- Protein 1.2 g
- Fat 7.3 g
- Carbohydrates 16.1 g
- Fiber 0.9 g
- Vitamin D 1.5 IU
- Calcium 45.2 mg
- Iron 2.2 mg
- Zinc 0.2 mg
Previous post: Allergy-Friendly Fall Snacks For Your Little Pumpkin