Having a baby is an extremely joyful occasion. Bringing home your new bundle of joy can also mean stockpiling lots of products. For green conscious parents this can be a cause for concern. So how are parents able to stay green while ensuring their little ones have all they need?
We have compiled a few helpful tips for being green with a baby:
1. Use glass or BPA free bottles: Most plastic bottles contain bisphenol-A (BPA). Studies have found that using bottles containing BPA may cause health effects to the development of your baby. Using glass or BPA free bottles for the health of your child, but also to limit waste to the environment.
2. Use cloth diapers: While it seems convenient to use disposable diapers, there are many benefits for using cloth diapers. To start, cloth diapers are more cost-effective because they are washable and reusable. On average newborns go through 9-12 diapers a day. Infants use approximately 8-10. This can add up. Using cloth diapers may help alleviate some of the cost of purchasing more diapers.
Cloth diapers are also environmentally friendly. Because they are reusable, there are less cloth diapers found in landfills than disposable. The most important benefit of using cloth diapers—they are good for your little ones. Babies who use cloth diapers tend to experience less diaper rashes than those who do. If you’re worried about whether or not your little one drinking Neocate will cause diaper stains, fear not, Neocate is diaper cloth friendly.
3. Run or walk with your baby in a stroller vs. driving: This is a two-for-one. Not only will running or walking with your baby keep you healthy while giving your little one some fresh air, it is good for the environment. The alternative to driving is less harmful to the ozone layer.
4. Use second-hand clothes vs. purchasing brand new ones: Any parent knows that children grow very quickly. Purchasing new clothes at the rapid pace that babies grow can be expensive. Like using cloth diapers, using second-hand clothes is cost-effective and creates less waste for landfills. It is extremely helpful for parents with more than one child, hand me downs are Green!
5. Check your products: Many of the products we use for ourselves and babies often contain added chemicals and preservatives that can be harmful to the health of our little ones. It’s always a good idea to check product labels. We also encourage supporting companies that use recycled materials for packaging. Did you know that all of our Neocate products are made from recyclable cans?
Being a green parent doesn’t have to be an expensive venture. You can start by using some of the tips we listed above.
We would love to know if you have any other tips for being green with a baby. Share them in our comments section below!
Read Comments (2)